We were excited when the participants told us that they planned to continue meeting as they worked on their respective projects.
Creating a memoir or family history can be much easier – and more fun – if you share it with other people trying to create books of their own. Here are some tips on how to organize a writing group.
• Decide on ground rules. Most people prefer a support group not a critique group.
• Find a place to meet
• Determine how often you’ll meet
• Decide on the size group you want.
• Invite people to join.
• Decide on a meeting format – For example:
15 minutes for members to raise questions / problems
15 minutes to discuss a topic like organization, photographs or interviewing
60 minutes for members to read from what they’re working on
• Decide whether member reading will be voluntary or scheduled
A writing group can give you the kind of support you need to help you to create the memoir or family history you’re dreaming of.