Editing Tool to Sharpen Your Writing
Sunday, October 2, 2016 at 11:20AM
Biff Barnes in Editors and Editing, The Author’s Craft
Want to tighten and simplify your writing? There’s an app for that!
C.K. MacLeod on Tech Tools for Writers recommends the Hemingway Editor, a tool which “will give you something to correct in your first draft, just minutes after you’ve written it.”
The app designed by Adam and Ben Long is a standalone program available for $9.99 for Mac or PC. You can also try the free online version. The creators promise that the Hemingway Editor will “make your writing bold and clear.”
It’s easy to use. Put in the text and see where you can simplify your prose.
The app uses multicolored text highlighting to help you identify:
- Long complex sentences which should be shortened or split
- Dense complicated sentences that your readers will get lost trying to follow
- Places where a shorter word might be better
- Adjectives which should be eliminated and replaced by more forceful verbs
- Instances of passive voice
If you have used the Hemingway Editor, post a comment and let us know what you thought of it.
Article originally appeared on Stories To Tell Books (http://www.storiestotellbooks.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.